As i already said, I’m now speaking in greater detail about the DGTPi Clock which is released this month. Here I’m especially focus on the advantages and disadvantages of this clock (in combination with the picochess software).
First the disadvantages (cause small list :-))
- Its relative “expensive”. The sell price is 275€
If you count a RaspPi3 incl. a SDCard and a case for it plus a DGT3000 clock you can buy that for around 130€ (at cheapest for example at eBay). But don’t forget that for example the DGT3000 is now alot cheaper as in the beginning. If you can wait, i expect the DGTPi also reduce in price after several months (but who wants to wait?). Also DGT had alot of work to do to make this product on market (i know some cause i was actively working on the software). And even its a fine product the selling counts aren’t as big as for example for a TV. You get the known best quality from the DGT company they famous for.
Next the advantages
- Its ALOT faster in response times! Thats mainly cause the clock is directly connected to the RaspPI instead of using the board as a transmitter. See this video from DJ Dekker
- It has 11 digits instead of 8 (DGT3000) to use. The messages are easier to read. Well, the DGT3000 also has 11 but based on the inside hardware, picochess can’t use all digits.
- You may even run two clocks at same time (for example a DGTPi + DGT3000). I tried that and if you do, you can see that the DGTPi is really faster – as i said on point 1. The software will right now display the same info on both (with different style cause of display length – see above). But future versions of picochess will allow to display different info. I already prepared the software for that.
- Not so much cables laying around. Just connect the DGTPi with the board, and you ready to play. If you have BT e-Board (like i have) you don’t even have one cable (despite the power). That’s really great.
- If you own a Rev II computer, you can use the DGTPi together with it. This is the only clock who supports that. It allows you to use a wider display, and finally have buttons!
The DGTPi clock – as sold now – is running picochess in version 0.75. There is no (main) difference to the version you can download from us. The DGTPi will also be able to update picochess (if you want), you can update the engines or books and much more. You can connect keyboard, mouse, and all other hardware – in short words: DGTPi clock is fully open no matter in software or hardware.
If you don’t have a DGT clock already (or a working picochess system) and thinking about to buy a clock my advice is: Go and buy this one. The jump is huge. You gonna like it! If you have an old DGT Clock and thinking about to also buy this one that is also great (you might use the older clock as second). Decide yourself if the big list of advantages (more to come) is worth a one-time investment of 275€ 😉