This release brings alot of new chess engines (versions). Here is a list what changed:
- Stockfish 7 updated to Stockfish 8. SF8 had a problem with time management but with the new OS it seems to be okay now
- Texel 1.06 to Texel 1.07
- Rodent III updated to v0.228 – For details see below
- Zurichess Neuchatel which also includes a bugfix for “alternative moves”
picochess is only the software you use. But as everywhere else there is an operating system below it. For picochess we used raspbian jessie. But Jessie is rather old and most important it has only a outdated C-compiler with its libs installed. The newest rodent III engine needs something called c++14 but thats only available on the successor of jessie called stretch. Thats the main reason i call this release stretch and also you need a complete new image and cant update picochess by itself. The easiest way is (if you havent done this before) is to download one image file from “picochess-images” (see last chapter) burn this to your sdcard and update from there. All you need to have is this new linux system below and the rest you can do with picochess by itself. Please make sure, you really have such stretch image installed before you update to v0.9j. If you have problems please ask here or at the google forum. We are happy to help you.
Why thats then needed?
On former versions of picochess you cant use the pondering modes (that are all modes despite “normal”) together with rodent III which was a big disadvantage. Thats fixed now. Also you get lots of new personalities (i think its now over 60?).
Also this release brings the following features / bugfixes:
- prepare for some uci chess engines like “demolito” which have a different (aehmm) idea of the uci protocol
- in case you play a bullet game some features namely “voice”, “confirm messages” are turned off to get a smoother play feeling. Also the sliding factor is reduced to get a quicker answer from the dgt board. Since you have to hurry up anyway, i think its okay to reduce sliding detection in advantage of quick responses.
- more tests for errorous times returned from the dgt chess clocks (reported from luigi)
- some bugfixes on dgt-pi clocks
- bugfix brain mode together with inside book (reported from peter).